Google Analytics

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Craft Masochist


I've recently come to accept that I'm a Craft Masochist. Every prick of the sewing needle, every searing burn of the glue-gun, every cut by the scissors just sends me to painful yet exhilarating new crafting heights. Most normal nights, I'm ready for bed before the mystery is solved on the NCIS reruns, but if I'm sewing or crafting, I can easily stay up past 2am, and even when I reluctantly crawl into bed, patterns and designs blythly dance through my head.

Which is pretty weird, as I'm actually quite terrified of pain (and extremely fond of sleep). When I was 8 years old, my mother decided that I was finally old enough to get my ears pierced. Excitedly, we browsed through the case of gold earrings, my mother promptly rejecting most of my selections as being too gaudy. Finally agreeing upon a simple pair of gold studs, I climbed onto the stool, and smugly looking down at all the other little girls who's ears weren't pierced and wouldn't be peirced that day.

I remember the piercing gun touching my ear, and the lady that was doing the peircing telling me that all I would feel would be a quick little *pinch*.

The next thing I remember was being shaken awake by the staff. It seems that the pain of the peircing had caused me to faint. And my ever loving mother, telling the staff to wait until I woke up before doing the other ear - so I would "really appreciate" the experience. Heh. My mom, she's hilarious.

Somewhere along the way, I've come to associate the pain caused in the pursuit of art with something like a badge of honor.  A sacrifice to the Goddesses of Creativity.  Or maybe, I'm just so wrapped up in what I'm doing that I don't notice the hurt quite so much?

Whatever the case, it's clear that I'm a Craft Masochist living in my little Sweatshop.  I wish I could sew all the time, but it's probably healthier that I can't.  Heh.

How about you? Are you a Craft Masochist too (and should we start our own self-help group...with a crafting corner, of course!)...?

No comments:

Post a Comment