Google Analytics

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Going that extra little step...

While the Sweatshop was in the middle of being unpacked, I had told my friend, CM, about a great fleece sale at the local Joann's and how these would make great blankets (her toddler loves blankets!).  I offered to whip out a blanket for her if she would just buy 2 pieces that would match.


So after work that day she got a cute puppy print fleece and the other was a plain marigold fleece and was just expecting me to stitch the two pieces together.


Clearly, she didn't know the depths of my insanity.


Although the plain fleece matched the yellow in the puppy print perfectly, I really didn't Iike that one of the pieces was totally plain; it just wasn't interesting or cute.  This blanket was for her toddler, so to me, both sides had to have something interesting for the child to look at.

I cut out strips from each side, with 45 degree corner cuts, from the two pieces. Using these strips, I was able to make a frame, so that the blanket would be reversible with a design on each side.

 
 
   the dog sold seperately - pic by CM

pic by CM


My friend was completely overwhelmed when she got the blanket (I think she was crying on the phone when she left me a message thanking me!) - she clearly didn't expect me to go through all that "effort". It was such a simple thing, but it made me glad that I put in that little something extra. Sometimes, being a little nutty about aesthetics pay off...it made a good friend feel touched, and it in turn made me feel even better.


Finally, before I dash back into my Sweatshop, happy Chinese new year everyone! I am ever hopeful that this is going to be a great year!

No comments:

Post a Comment